sunnuntai 29. marraskuuta 2015

The wow factor - week 47

Week 47 must have been one of the most fun, inspirational and giving that any week at school has been ever before. We were told that the week is going to be awesome and that we are going to have very inspirational speakers visiting us, but to be honest, I didn't believe it would really be so different than the other weeks. But oh boy was I wrong.

I went to school on Monday feeling a little tired, like any person would on a Monday morning. Anyhow, I came in a little late and was so embarrassed to walk in 10 minutes behind the schedule, so I just sneaked into the back row quietly and sat down by myself. Before I even had set my focus on the speaker, I was already mesmerized. The way he spoke, the words he said, the stories he told - they all glued my bottom into the chair and my eyes towards the front of the room even more. I was so focused, so inspired and totally taken by surprise. Who was this guy? I had missed the beginning of the class where had most definitely introduced himself and all I knew was the stories he was telling and the encouraging words he was speaking to us.

Untitled

I made a lot of notes to my phone during the lecture and now that I reviewed them again, I want to share some with you:

- Have the courage to dream, people that dream are happier and more successful
- Write your dreams down, that's the first step in making them come true
- Value and cherish love, because everyone wants to be loved. If people are not loved, they want to be respected, if they're not respected they want to be feared, if they're not feared they want to be hated
- Be brave, don't be afraid of anything and be brave to become better, wiser and stronger
- Muhammad Ali maintained his braveness by repeating the mantra "I am the greatest" to himself everyday

After the lecture I went to introduce myself to the speaker and to thank him for the great, inspirational lecture. I learned that his name was Jaakko Alasaarela and he was the CEO of a company called ZEF. He was also going to take part in the national pull-up competition and according to our teacher he is very good at doing pull-ups. So, an awesome guy! He inspired me and made me think about my dreams and what could I do to make them come true.

After our short conversation after the lecture, it was Jaakko's time to leave and the next speaker to take the stage. Now it was Camilla Tuominen, who was going to talk to us about emotions and also a little about her company Emotion tracker.

Untitled

Camilla's bubbly and quick-witted personality caught my attention immediately. She smiled and made big gestures with her hands while she spoke to us and was very easy to listen to. Camilla told us her story about how she had quit her job in a company she didn't feel herself comfortable working in and started to pursue her own dreams and interests. She had always felt that it is important to be able to recognize emotions and to process them. That is why she had begun to speak more publicly about emotions to people and why she had little by little developed the idea for her own business.

She pointed out some very important things about emotions, that I wrote down:

- Due to digitalization, recognizing emotions is hard nowadays
- It is important to understand your own feelings in your body, so that you can learn to interpret emotions in others
- Find the things that give you the feeling of fulfillment, don't go after accomplishments, go after things that you are passionate about
- Wish the feelings you experience welcome and process them with curiosity. "It's just a feeling", like Camilla said.
- The most of poor and crappy feelings come from comparing yourself to others and suffering in general is 80-90% caused by your own thinking

Untitled
One of Camilla's slides - she had drawn all of them by herself!!

I also went to say hi to Camilla, since she was - also - such a positive and inspirational human being. We talked about dreams, feelings, meditation and her lecture and bonded immediately. I gave her my blog address and she promised to check it out, since she grew a little interest towards it while we talked. We didn't have much time to have a conversation, but even the little moment after the lecture talking with her made me very happy. I thanked her for her inspirational words and for her positive personality and took her business card.

On Thursday I wasn't in school, because I was filming a video for another school project. I had let our teacher, Ilkka, know about this and he had given me permission to be absent.

Anyway, such a great week. Wow.

-Laura

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti